I’m Booked—Now What? – 2019
Congratulations! You’ve booked JoCo Cruise 2019, and you are going to have an amazing time. Those who have been on previous JoCo Cruises can vouch for this fact, and will probably skip directly to the Travel and Accommodations section, which will have details about the Official hotel and other information.
But if you’re new to JoCo Cruise, we thought you might appreciate some resources to help you get the lay of the land:
- What is the JoCo Cruise? A general overview of the awesome power of this fully-operational battle station.
- The JoCo Cruise 2019 FAQ. Answers to questions that are asked frequently. Perhaps your questions.
- The 2017 schedule of events on Sched. Of course the performers, hangouts, and events won’t be exactly the same in 2019, but it’ll give you a pretty good idea of the sorts of things you can expect.
- The 2017 JoCo Cruise Event Guide. As with above, while 2018 won’t have the exact same artists and events, this booklet gives you a good overview of the general event.
- The JoCo Cruise Roommate-seekers Listserv is your best place to start if you’re trying to find roommates for the 2019 cruise. (NOTE: Currently, Hotmail accounts may not work properly with the listserv; we are working on a solution to this problem.)
- The JoCo Cruise Discussion Forums. Discuss whatever you like, provided it’s JoCo Cruise related. You know, like people do on forums.
- The JoCo Cruise 2019 Sea Monkey Facebook group. Fan-run, active group where you can usually find veteran cruisers who are happy to let you know the skinny.
- Holland America has a very thorough “Know Before You Go” guide, which covers a wide range of topics, including cruise preparation, documentation, baggage policy information and packing advice, childcare and youth activities, and much more.
TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATIONS
JoCo Cruise does not directly handle any pre- or post-cruise flights, hotel stays, or ground transportation, but we do offer the following discounts and advice. Read on, intrepid travelers.
Overview | Flights | Hotels | Parking
The Oosterdam departs from Fort Lauderdale, FL on March 9, 2019. If you’re flying in, here’s the general recommended plan:
- Closest airport is Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL); Miami International Airport (MIA) is about 45 minutes down I-95.
Being winter, it’s usually wise to fly in the day before the cruise (March 8) in case weather delays try to ruin your trip. Not required, but STRONGLY recommended. Because even if it doesn’t snow where you live, bad whether in other parts of the U.S. can wreak havoc on national and international air travel.
- Airport to Hotel
Take a shuttle, taxi, or rental car from the airport to your Fort Lauderdale hotel. We will announce when we have any JoCo Cruise hotel discounts to offer.
- Hotel to Ship
Take a shuttle, taxi, or rental car from your hotel to the Port Everglades cruise terminal. You’ll need to present your cruise ticket and ID to get into the port complex, so be ready for that.
- Ship to Airport
When the cruise is over on March 16th, disembark and take a shuttle, taxi, or rental car back to FLL or MIA (or to your hotel, if you are staying in the Fort Lauderdale area).
Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) is the closest major airport, and services most major airlines. Miami International Airport is 45 minutes away. The ship is scheduled to sail at 5 pm on March 9th, so in theory you could fly in that morning. This will, however, be the middle of Winter, and weather delays in any part of the country can affect flights all over. So for safety and peace of mind, you may want to fly in a day early and stay in a nearby hotel overnight. Feel free to take advantage of any special rates we’ve arranged.
On March 16th, the ship is scheduled to dock early (7 am), but disembarking can be a multi-hour process, and weather can affect docking time. HAL suggests that you not schedule your flights home too early—after 12 noon, to be safe. Not a requirement, just a suggestion. And if you decide to stay in the Fort Lauderdale region an extra day or more, special hotel rates may also be available post-cruise (subject to availability).
JoCo Cruise is currently working on a special group rate for a Fort Lauderdale hotel close to Port Everglades. More info soon.