I’m Booked—Now What?
Congratulations! You’ve booked JoCo Cruise 2018, and you are going to have an amazing time. Those who have been on previous JoCo Cruises can vouch for this fact, and will probably skip directly to the Travel and Accommodations section, which will have details about the Official hotel and other information.
But if you’re new to JoCo Cruise, we thought you might appreciate some resources to help you get the lay of the land:
- What is the JoCo Cruise? A general overview of the awesome power of this fully-operational battle station.
- The JoCo Cruise 2018 FAQ. Answers to questions that are asked frequently. Perhaps your questions.
- The 2017 schedule of events on Sched. Of course the performers, hangouts, and events won’t be exactly the same in 2018, but it’ll give you a pretty good idea of the sorts of things you can expect.
- The 2017 JoCo Cruise Event Guide. As with above, while 2018 won’t have the exact same artists and events, this booklet gives you a good overview of the general event.
- The JoCo Cruise Roommate-seekers Listserv is your best place to start if you’re trying to find roommates for the 2018 cruise. (NOTE: Currently, Hotmail accounts may not work properly with the listserv; we are working on a solution to this problem.)
- The JoCo Cruise Discussion Forums. Discuss whatever you like, provided it’s JoCo Cruise related. You know, like people do on forums.
- The JoCo Cruise 2018 Sea Monkey Facebook group. Fan-run, active group where you can usually find veteran cruisers who are happy to let you know the skinny.
- Holland America has a very thorough “Know Before You Go” guide, which covers a wide range of topics, including cruise preparation, documentation, baggage policy information and packing advice, childcare and youth activities, and much more.
TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATIONS
JoCo Cruise does not directly handle any pre- or post-cruise flights, hotel stays, or ground transportation, but we do offer the following discounts and advice. Read on, intrepid travelers.
Overview | Flights | Hotels | Parking
The Oosterdam departs from San Diego, CA on February 18, 2018. If you’re flying in, here’s the general recommended plan:
- **Fly into San Diego International Airport (SAN)**
Being winter, it’s usually wise to fly in the day before the cruise (February 17) in case weather delays try to ruin your trip. Not required, but STRONGLY recommended. Because even if it doesn’t snow where you live, bad whether in other parts of the U.S. can wreak havoc on national and international air travel.
- **Airport to Hotel**
Take a shuttle, taxi, or rental car from SAN to your San Diego hotel. We will announce when we have any JoCo Cruise hotel discounts to offer.
- **Hotel to Ship**
Take a shuttle, taxi, or rental car from your hotel to the B Street Cruise Ship Terminal. We will also announce once we have any special shuttle pricing available for this leg.
- **Ship to Airport**
When the cruise is over on March 11, disembark and take a shuttle, taxi, or rental car back to SAN (or to your hotel, if you are staying in CA). We will also announce special shuttle pricing for this leg as well, once available.
San Diego International Airport (SAN) is the closest major airport, and services most major airlines. The ship is scheduled to sail at 4 pm on February 18th, so in theory you could fly in that morning. This will, however, be the middle of Winter, and weather delays in any part of the country can affect flights all over. So for safety and peace of mind, you may want to fly in a day early and stay in a nearby hotel overnight. Feel free to take advantage of any special rates we’ve arranged.
On February 25th, the ship is scheduled to dock early (7 am), but disembarking can be a multi-hour process, and weather can affect docking time. HAL suggests that you not schedule your flights home too early—after 12 noon, to be safe. Not a requirement, just a suggestion. And if you decide to stay in San Diego an extra day or more, special hotel rates may also be available post-cruise (subject to availability).
For special JoCo Cruise rates at the following three San Diego hotels (good for Fri. Feb. 16 and Sat. Feb. 17), use the booking links listed below:
- Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station (hotel website)
1 King or 2 Queen Bed Standard Room – $219/night (up to 4 ppl)
Use this booking link or call (800) 321-2211 (refer to group name “JoCo Cruise” or group code “JCC” for rate)
NOTE: booking link only allows “1 guest/room” option, but rate is same for up to 4 ppl
UPDATE: no JCC rate rooms currently available for Fri. Feb. 16
- Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego Airport-Liberty Station (hotel website)
1 King Bed Studio Suite or 1-Bedroom Suite (up to 4 ppl) – $239/night
1 King 1 Queen 2-Bedroom Suite (up to 4 ppl) – $309/night (5 ppl $319; 6 ppl $329)
Use this booking link or call (619) 222-0500 and reference the JoCo Cruise, or group code “JCC”.
UPDATE: no JCC rate rooms currently available for Fri. Feb. 16
- Wyndham San Diego Bayside — UPDATE: all JCC rate rooms sold out
All three hotels include complimentary wi-fi and SAN airport-to-hotel shuttle. See hotel websites for full lists of amenities.
NOTE: These rooms will very likely sell out quickly, and we cannot guarantee that we can get any more rooms at these rates (although we will try). Because there is a large convention in San Diego that weekend, hotel room availability is more difficult this year than in years past. Regardless of where you stay, we strongly recommend you not delay in making hotel arrangements for JoCo Cruise 2018.
PRE-CRUISE: SEA MONKEY SEND-OFF
Our event organizer friends Team Pandy are throwing a special “pre-cruise shore excursion” party specifically for Sea Monkeys—the Sea Monkey Send-Off, happening Saturday, Feb. 17th, 6 pm – 9 pm at the San Diego Comic Art Gallery, in the city’s Liberty Station area. Featuring unlimited craft beer samples, street tacos, video games and live music. Proceeds will benefit Traveling Stories.
Bonus: the event is just a short hop from the above hotels—less than a mile from the Courtyard and Homewood Suites (potentially walkable), and about 4 miles from the Wyndham (a quick car/cab/rideshare ride away).
Full details and ticket info can be found at seamonkeysendoff.com, and also check out the Send-Off’s Facebook event.
This event is not run or organized by the JoCo Cruise.
If you’re driving instead of flying, there is parking available near the port.